Author Topic: building Ginger  (Read 3027 times)

Ltljoe22

building Ginger
« on: June 28, 2017, 04:17:11 AM »
Ever since i was young i had dreams of doing a diesel swap in a jeep wrangler, I bought my 1997 jeep 3 years ago now and drove it the way i had bought it with the small lift and 33's on it for a year, while saving money and buying parts for the swap a little at a time.  Before i even bought a Jeep i run across a amazing deal on my dream motor for what i had always wanted to do. That $850 investment started my whole jeep fascination lol. Heres  some bits and pieces of building my Jeep (Ginger).

It started out as a regular jeep with few small mods, lift kit, 33's, wheels winch, aluminum bumpers and a detroit tru trac.

I saved money and started hoarding up parts in my shop and in no time after selling a four wheeler i had a good pile of goodies.
I spent months doing research on swapping everything over, i had all major necessities and wiring schematics. oh and the ups lady probably hated my guts cause nothing was light.

parts were

cummins 4bt 3.9l
nv4500 out of a 1998 Dodge 2500
built ford 8.8 from east coast gear supply
hpd30 out of a 1998 jeep cherokee, i freshened up seals in it, put gussets and trussed it. (and since put alloy ball joints in it, axle sleeves, aussie locker, and good u joints due to a wreck)
poison spyder hood vent
poison spyder ricochet rockers
currie currectlync steering
dodge durango steering box
1.5" spyder trax wheel spacers
35" pro comp extreme mud terrains
ccfabs tube fenders
Poison spyder trail cage
rough country 6" long arm lift
bilstein shocks
and a few more small goodies i'm sure i've forgot

"Yes it really has a diesel in it."  "Yes i did the work myself"

Ltljoe22

Re: building Ginger
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2017, 04:21:42 AM »
The worst part of the swap was trying to get the seized shifter off the stock ax5 trans. When it broke loose i popped myself right in the lip and busted that bad boy open and had to have 3 stitches, but if you aint bleeding you ain't tryin right?

Ltljoe22

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2017, 04:26:11 AM »
I swapped out the input gear in the transfer case, and went ahead and rebuilt it, mated it to my trans and worked my way forward from the stock transfer case mount. I measured twice and cut once for my new mounts to be welded in and what have you.

Ltljoe22

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2017, 04:39:41 AM »
Not 2 months  after i had the swap finished and really havent drove it much, we loaded up and took off for a camping weekend in  the Chattahoochee National Forest. I built a Trailer out of a 03 rubicon and had all our camping gear and some tools just in case in it. The thing did wonderful i never would have imagined that it would have went so smoothly. 

Not a Year after my whole swap a woman pulled out in front of me and i smacked her in the rear end and let me tell you i would have thought i had way more damage than what i had. All i ended up with was a bent rim some busted lights, one lower control arm mount peeled off ( i upgraded to 1/4 steel after that).
I am a believer in that aluminum front bumper after that it didnt ding, bend, bow, or crack, even scratch the thing.

Ltljoe22

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2017, 04:43:10 AM »
And now that i have bored you all with this ill let the keyboard cool off a little bit, this night shift has gone rather well considering i had time to do all this.

I have more pics of the swap but didnt wanna go through them all 10 at a time, and im pretty ignorant when it comes to working one of these forums. (maybe i did all this right?)

sixty5vdub

• Global Moderator
  • Wrangler Freak
  • Heep
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2017, 07:22:44 AM »
Awesome build.  Thanks for sharing. 
I have been thinking for a while that my next project will be a diesel JK.  Hoping the price of used JK's goes down when the new model comes out.
AMP

2007 Unlimited Rubicon
AEV, Alloy USA, Bestop, K & N, LoD, Mopar, Nitto, Poison Spyder, Rancho, RCV, Rockhard, Rock Slide Engineering, Superwinch, Synergy

austin160

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2017, 07:26:11 AM »
Awesome. 

Russ

• Administrator
  • Wrangler Jedi Master
  • I am the egg man.
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2017, 08:34:59 AM »
Now THIS is how a build thread looks!  Nicely done!

Can't wait to see that rig in action on the trails! :treejeep:

englocon

• Jeeper
  • Dan H
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2017, 07:08:31 PM »
Now that's what it's all about!! Pour your heart and soul into something and reap the rewards of your hard work! Awesome job on the build and the write up! Hope to see you on the trails soon!

Ltljoe22

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2017, 07:21:34 PM »
Thanks it sure was a joy to tear apart and rebuild.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pokey162

• Freak
  • Wrangler Jedi Master
  • Old Guy
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2017, 07:41:23 PM »
Wow, great build! I think you have accomplished what most of us just dream about doing someday.👍
2004 Rubicon TJ...

* Recent Topics

topic New Member Check In
[New Member Check In]
dirtbikedad
September 15, 2021, 02:20:45 PM
topic New Rear Bumpers for sale CJ and YJ
[New Member Check In]
Real W.J.
February 16, 2021, 10:11:42 AM
topic Buyer for 1993 Jeep Wrangler
[New Member Check In]