Author Topic: Spring compressor  (Read 955 times)

Mikebravo

Spring compressor
« on: October 04, 2016, 04:45:36 PM »
So last weekend I was working on my dodge and got down to getting the new much bigger coil springs in, until then I figured it was pretty straight forward just like the jeep. I was a bit wrong. So since my truck is a 2wd I don't have a solid front axle which makes trying to compress the spring a pain in the ass. So I tried using the trucks body weight and that didn't work, then I rented a spring compressor from auto zone and it exploded and damn near took my thumb with it. My question to y'all is do you have a better way to do this? I can take it to the shop down the road and pay 400 bucks to have them do it but that doesn't seem right to me. Tips? 

Adam

• Jeepers
  • Wrangler Freak
  • Roll Tide!
    • View Profile
Re: Spring compressor
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2016, 05:18:45 PM »
Can you not lift and support the body and then just start disconnecting stuff until there's enough space to put the springs in?  Probably have to disconnect most everything, but it should be doable.

Mikebravo

Re: Spring compressor
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2016, 05:43:27 PM »
Can you not lift and support the body and then just start disconnecting stuff until there's enough space to put the springs in?  Probably have to disconnect most everything, but it should be doable.

Nope tried that. I took the knuckle completely off and I can get the springs in but cannot compress the spring enough to bolt both the upper and lower control arm together. I put the jack directly under the control arm to try and squeeze it together and it wouldn't compress enough.