Author Topic: Trail riding and WNWR  (Read 1199 times)

RocketCity Rubi

• View Profile
Trail riding and WNWR
« on: October 12, 2017, 01:50:59 PM »
I have seen people ask about some easy/evening/local trails to ride and Wheeler almost always comes up. While easy to-get-to directions for the "North" side of the river come up, what is never mentioned is the long trail that runs on the "South" side of the river. I am talking about the Truck Trail West, Truck Trail East and Tally Bottom Road. These pretty much run the whole river bank from Decatur/Priceville to the 231 bridge.

WNWR does have a Tear map that you can download and a hard to use interactive map. I have taken the liberty to download/attach the map for those that are interested. They also post a closure map of the areas that will be closed effective Nov 15th.

RocketCity Rubi

• View Profile
Re: Trail riding and WNWR
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2017, 01:57:23 PM »
Here is the WNWR Closure Map...

Like has been mentioned, you are in a National Wildlife Area so behave accordingly:
Stay on the marked trails, stay out of the farmers fields, No camping and no firearms (except on managed hunts) and pack out your trash.

Aruun72

• Jeeper
  • It's also my sports car
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2017, 10:08:07 PM »
Sorry, need to add new information to your post.  It appears the Tearsheet is from 2002.  In 2010, Congress passed a law allowing for the carry of firearms in National Parks, but you can't carry into federal buildings like visitor centers or park ranger's offices (Alabama laws still apply).  According to the link, that also looks like it applies to the refuge.

https://www.fws.gov/mountain-prairie/pressrel/DC-01.htm
2013 JKU Rubicon; Smittybilt XRC Mod front bumper; Smittybilt Atlas rear bumper; Smittybilt SRC Side Armor; Smittybilt XRC 10k Winch; Smittybilt SRC Sport Cage; Bestop Trektop NX; Spod switch panel; Rugged Ridge Lightbar; Uniden CMX660 CB; Yaesu FT-8900R

wrightj67

• Jeeper
  • Its orange, not yellow
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2017, 10:26:27 AM »
Good info! I usually let the kids drive the roads on the North side.  The Blackwell Run usually has some mud and puddles on it- enough for the kids to practice in.

* Recent Topics

topic New Old Guy on the Block
[New Member Check In]
Russ
September 01, 2020, 12:33:02 PM
topic New Member
[New Member Check In]
rwheeler24
July 17, 2020, 01:33:42 PM
topic New Member Check In
[New Member Check In]
Shanikaham