Author Topic: LJ Long Arm Suspension build  (Read 348 times)

Maloppa

• View Profile
LJ Long Arm Suspension build
« on: October 12, 2018, 04:17:48 PM »
Greetings,
Has anyone done a TJ / LJ long arm install? I assume the most difficult part is removing the old arm brackets? What brand would anyone recommend? I will probably be going with around 4 inches. I also will be cleaning out the garage. I can't post anything in the sale section because I don't have 25 posts, so not really sure how to go about that. Any discussion would be helpful. Thanks

Maloppa

• View Profile
Re: LJ Long Arm Suspension build
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2018, 05:32:49 PM »
I'm looking at the Rubicon Express 4.5.

sixty5vdub

• Wrangler Freak
  • Heep
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2018, 06:42:42 AM »
Sounds like quite a project.  Never done a long arm conversion, so can't help with specifics there.  But there are plenty of videos and articles out on the interwebs.  Seems to me the hardest thing would be getting all of the geometry correct.  Hopefully whatever kit you go with has it all figured out.

I assume you are doing an engine swap as well, hence the pic of the V8?

Keep us updated on your progress. 

AMP
2007 Unlimited Rubicon
AEV, Alloy USA, LoD, Mopar, Nitto, Poison Spyder, Rancho, RCV, Rockhard, Superwinch, Synergy

Maloppa

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2018, 04:55:09 PM »
I've decided to go with the 5 in lift. Just trying to decide if my welding skills are up to par for the install. The motor pic is of a stock 327 I will post for sale once I get enough posts. I've got stuff needing cleaned out of the garage. For the LJ, I will be adding a super charger. I'm a fan of the 4.0.

AOR

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2018, 01:46:01 PM »
Good day!

Any particular reason you are going long arm?  And that high in lift?

Longarm kits are a thing of the past unless you are running fast on baja type stuff (Jeepspeed but with an LJ).  With a LA kit you will get a better street ride at that height, however, if you crawl rocks or tall obsticles, you will get hung more.  As far as the height goes, personally, I would keep it to a 3.5" mid arm kit and run highline fenders to fit 35s or 37s.  Lower center of gravity and same ground clearance.

So gives us the details on the overall build vision you have.  What is the goal?  What size tires you want to run?  Gearing and lockers?  What axles you running?  I did not see you post you had a Rubicon, so, D30 front?   Looking to truss the axles?

Have a great day!

Allen

p.s.  Check out the RE blowout sale if you have not already purchased: 
https://www.allensoffroad.com/suspension-systems-lift-kits/RE-BLOWOUT-SALE

Maloppa

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2019, 07:55:12 PM »
Allen,
Thanks for the info. After further study, I see all your points and have decided not to move forward with the long arm. So I am going to wheel it as is. I also bought another BMW GSA, so it will be a while before I build on the jeep. I haven't done much looking at this site since it seems like most communication is done on FaceBook. I don't do FB.

AOR

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2019, 11:56:42 AM »
Allen,
Thanks for the info. After further study, I see all your points and have decided not to move forward with the long arm. So I am going to wheel it as is. I also bought another BMW GSA, so it will be a while before I build on the jeep. I haven't done much looking at this site since it seems like most communication is done on FaceBook. I don't do FB.

I would love to be able to post and converse on facebook.  I have been approved for the facebook page, however, I cannot actually post there.  I am logged in and go to the page but I do not have the authorization to view or post anything in the communtiy.  I have sent numerous emails and messages.  No response.  If you could forward those detials to whomever can resovle that, I would be very grateful.

Congrats on the BMW and don't neglect your 4x4 children.

Namaste,

Allen