Author Topic: Rusted out rear bump stops  (Read 113 times)

Triguy

• TJ enthusiast
    • View Profile
Rusted out rear bump stops
« on: September 25, 2019, 08:32:57 AM »
My TJ had a few rust issues (big surprise, I know). The rear bump stops had rusted out, yet the upper spring mount itself was solid, so here's what I did, and has worked out great. Tractor supply for trailer spring plates and square steel tubing and steel plate. Weld the parts together with a nut welded at the top, then welded/bolted all of this to the upper spring mount. Then I purchased a generic, long bump stop with a bolt at the top, trimmed it to the proper length and screwed it up into the assembly I just welded to the spring mount. Hopefully these pics explain it better than I just did. Hope this helps in our battle on rust. FYI, I also just installed the Safe-T-Cap frame replacement system if anyone has questions about that.
Keep the Faith
...Keep the Fight

sixty5vdub

• Wrangler Freak
  • Heep
    • View Profile
Re: Rusted out rear bump stops
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2019, 09:02:21 AM »
Nice DIY fix.  Are there other areas that look like they are rusting out as well?  Was this a northern Jeep at one time?

AMP

2007 Unlimited Rubicon
AEV, Alloy USA, LoD, Mopar, Nitto, Poison Spyder, Rancho, RCV, Rockhard, Superwinch, Synergy

Triguy

• TJ enthusiast
    • View Profile
Re: Rusted out rear bump stops
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2019, 04:59:14 PM »
Yes, from the land of ice, snow and SALT. I already did the Safe-T Cap center frame section repair. I now have everything good and solid underneath.
Keep the Faith
...Keep the Fight

* Recent Topics

topic New Member Check In
[New Member Check In]
sixty5vdub
September 12, 2019, 08:11:49 AM
topic New Member Check In
[New Member Check In]
s2inga
June 11, 2019, 10:58:21 AM
topic Checking in....